Monday, July 13, 2009

Mears Garden news- Summer week 4- July 13, 2009

We were in Chicago this weekend. This was an opportunity to visit a big garden center where there were sales, get some more orchids, and observe the suburban garden.

It is the time of year to put in those annuals into the holes in the garden. I have a few holes so some little zinnias were obtained at the aforementioned garden center.

If you have shade then you should do hanging plants in the trees. I do orchid cacti as you have seen from time to time. I also bring out my regular orchids, which flourish in the weather. I have several orchids that bloom this time of year. Sometimes the secret to blooming (fill in the blank) is to just have enough of that plant.

We did observe many a suburban garden, driving around. Ornamental grasses and Russian sage are good. Those little Stella D’Oro daylilies should be pulled up and composted. How can you have daylilies that are so very boring when all these wonderful colors and shapes are available? I understand that people plant them because they rebloom. I also understand that there are slowly more and more interesting colors in the world of reblooming daylilies. I just don’t see many colorful daylilies in yards. There is no excuse for this. I have not wanted to, or had the time, to start spreading mine around. On the other hand I should separate them. Maybe I will just go on a mission for the next five years. Daylilies must come to the people.
I should do my part.

There are plenty of good pictures this week. The lilium have really started and the daylilies are peeking. Your poll picture group has two of each.

First here is a newcomer to the garden this year- an
Orientpet hybrid called Luminaries.












Second is a classic called Siloam Double Classic. It is small. It is pink.











Third is Nymph, another Oriental-Trumpet lily cross. It stands a good six feet tall along the sidewalk as you approach the house from the east. It is a plant that has the sturdiest stalk I have ever seen. It not only doesn’t need a stake, it could be a stake.












Finally here is a daylily that does not have a name. I just call it wonderful. It should really cross it with a bright red one. The result might be really neat or it might be mud.











Last week the poll winner was Night Embers, the daylily pair. A close second was Silk Road, the lily.

_______________________________________
In the bonus pictures this week you will see some of the orchids blooming at the moment.


























There are also more lilies and daylilies.




















































Come by if you can this weekend. The peak is here right now.
Philip Mears

1 comment:

Pat O'Conner said...

Philip, your huge clivia is really something. I have a letter en route to Julia (mailing today). There's a story inside about the clivia you sent us last fall. It has bloomed! It's a beautiful peachy-orange. Now, how about some FROG PICTURES! ...Pat