Sunday, July 18, 2021

July 18, 2011- the mid point of the summer garden

Rain. Heat. Frost. Wind. Hail. Drought. It seems like there is always something. (I am not saying we have had all these things- at least this year.) 

But all this weather is enough to condition a gardener to watch the radar. And to worry.

We actually just had another week with good rain. We are now above average for the month. I even ceremoniously put away the front yard hose. (Well, I did keep it in the front yard, but all rolled up.)

I was out gardening Saturday morning for several hours. There really is something to be said for getting outside before sunrise. I even put on a light jacket. 


This was the week that marked the division of the daylily season.

The first half is the Ruby Spider half. I believe the last flower from that plant will bloom tomorrow. June 23 was the first flower. So that is over three weeks. It was a pretty good run.

This next picture was from Thursday. One small bit of excitement is that I have a Ruby Spider seed pod. The secret to getting seed pods is not to deadhead the spent flower, at least all the way back to the stem. If you let the old flowers just sit for 3-4 days you might be able to tell if there was fertilization.  (You can also use a scissors and cut the spend flower off about an inch from where the flower meets the stem.)

I have not found Ruby Spider to very fertile. I know this because some times I try an intentional cross. Imagine crossing RS with a bright orange, or even a bright tall orange. With this seed pod we shall see. If I get the seeds when they ripen this fall, and if I plant them in the spring, and if they germinate, I might have a flower in 3 years. (Remember the tree peonies.  Sometimes you just have to think long term.) 

The second half of the daylily season is marked by daylily Yellow Pinwheel. The first flower bloomed last Tuesday, July 12. This picture gives you an idea about how big and tall they are. I have a second Yellow Pinwheel plant next to it. It is actually a week behind the first plant. It should still be blooming in August.


The lilium are at their height. This is perhaps the best known of the lilies. It is Stargazer.



How about this next one. It is Helen of Troy. It was a little pricey so I just got one bulb. But it was worth it. It makes me rethink my practice of always getting 3 of anything new. (except hosta)


The Blackberry lilies, or pardancanda lilies, continue.


There can be various reactions to the inevitable fact that the garden season slips along. Some might think that winter is coming.

Here are ways to avoid that chasm.

In Iowa, gardening will last until November. That is a lot of time left. 

I think annuals. My  efforts continue. I am growing and planting annuals from now on.

I am thinking about coleus. Have I discussed how really wonderful some varieties are at this point. 

A person at the farmer's market was selling little starts of many varieties up until July. He stopped. I asked it he could bring me a mixed flat. He did. These two were included. Yesterday I asked him to bring me two flats next weekend. I particularly wanted these two varieties.


This is Mighty Mosaic. I will find it for next year. Maybe if it grows it can come inside. I could make cuttings all of that inside time.

Swallowtail garden seeds is one grower I found. They carry 43 varieties of coleus at this point.

I liked this one too. Pineapple surprise. Nice name.

Remember, if they get leggy, what do you do? Right. You make more with cuttings. If anything, coleus grow roots faster than impatiens.










Another reaction to the season entering the second half is to start looking at catalogs and maybe ordering a few plants. This past week I ordered some more Martagon lilies.


Yesterday I saw this on a webcite and my resistance crumbled. (I ordered two.)














Julia's Recipe

More Fish

This is a simple, stove-top fish recipe using fresh little tomatoes and capers and fancy green olives. As this is farmers' market season, we have little tomatoes as a staple, and I always have fish and capers so the only item on the shopping list was castelvetrano olives. I think any kind of nice briny green olives would do the trick. As it is getting to be high summer, a main dish that does not require the oven or long cooking is good. This is slightly adapted from a recipe from Sitka Salmon, from whom we get our fish.


The ingredients:

1 piece of white fish about 3/4 lb. (I had        sablefish; cod or haddock or halibut would be fine);
3 tablespoons olive oil;
1 tablespoon capers;
2 cups little tomatoes;
1/3 cup catelvetrano (or other green) olives, cut into biggish pieces; 
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes; and
some kosher or sea salt. 





I cut the fish into 2 portions; sprinkled it(with a somewhat free hand) with salt, and heated 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium to medium-high heat.

I put the fish in skin side down (sablefish has skin. If your fish does not have skin, start on whichever side you like). 

I pressed the fish down with a spatula to improve contact between the fish and the skillet surface. 

After a few minutes (maybe 4 or 5), the skin side was a bit crispy and I flipped the fish over carefully. I cooked it on the second side for maybe 3 minutes, at which point it was flaky when poked with a fork. In other words, done, so I put it on a paper-towel-lined plate. 

The skin fell off. This did not bother me. 



Next, I added the last tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and then I added the capers and the tomatoes. I let them cook for 2 or 3 minutes and then, getting impatient, I used my spatula to press down on the tomatoes. I wanted them to burst and thicken. Which they did. 



Next I added the olives (perhaps you can see them cascading into the pan) and the red pepper flakes. I cooked the tomato mixture for maybe a total of 10 minutes. The tomatoes should retain their shapes but be split open and a bit saucy.

In the meantime, we made rice and green beans, from the farmers' market and therefore especially tender. 












I assembled the plates in the kitchen: first a dollop of rice, then a piece of fish, then some of the tomato mixture, then green beans on the side. 

Dinner! Plus green salad and the usual summer chaser of berries and yogurt. 







Odds and ends

Pelleted seeds-who knew. I was looking up coleus seeds when I ran into this new term.

https://www.hortmag.com/smart-gardening/pelleted-seeds-why-and-how-to-use-them


Notice to some blog fans: There is a feature over the past years where you could give the webcite your email. You would then get alerts when a new post was available. Blogger-which is the company I use is discontinuing this service. If you rely on this widget to get notices, it is going to end.


I am tired. Getting up before 5 will do that to a person.

I am going to get some sleep. 

But first thing- maybe I will weed back by the pond.


5:30 am. It is getting to be light out. It is a little cool again. The windows are open. The bull frogs in the pond are grunting away. (I will write more about them next week.) 

Be safe. 

Philip

1 comment:

Pat said...

Fabulous lilies (of all kinds), and fabulous-looking fish. I envy you those bullfrog sounds.