Sunday, November 8, 2020

November 8, 2020- a remarkable week

The title of the week had been "a long week." I changed it yesterday to "a remarkable week." Everything seems just so much better at this point.


There was that one bad night, ranking up there with the worst nights ever. We all know which night that was. Let me just say in hindsight,  it was looking rather grim for a while on Tuesday evening. It really was only on Wednesday morning that there could be any positive thoughts. 

And now, as of yesterday, we have a declared president elect.

There is such a weight is off our collective shoulders. 

Maybe it is time to get some more bulbs. Can you say celebration?

 

Let me talk gardens and flowers and beauty.


Every day this past week was the same. Sunny. 70's. Blue sky. I was rather strange to have the fate of the world decided on a sunny day.

Various plants, such as the lettuce in pots, spent the entire week outside. While the local deer snacked on the pansies -boo- they left the lettuce and the parsley alone.

We got that hour back in the morning last weekend. We put it to good use this week. Julia and I were able to go for walks before work. That was about Thursday that we felt like going for a walk.



The trees in the neighborhood were rather grand, with all that sunshine and blue sky.













The crocuses were the sparkle in the garden all week. 


This picture might be about the best of the season. I suppose one reason for it being special is that it is so different. I do not know the variety. I would like to get more.


These next pictures were rather nice, too.







I like this picture with the leaves as background.


There is no way around it. I planted a hundred of these bulbs in September. I think I could have planted many more. I guess I will see how many come up next year. Next year. Somehow that term sounds so much better today.



Garden cleanup has begun.
I raked of part of one of the beds yesterday, as it was just a joy to be outside.
Then I remembered that there are 15 such beds, based on one way to count them.

I dug up and replanted some lilium bulbs yesterday. It is fun to dig them up and see how big they have gotten. I am reminded of digging potatoes. I also moved a peony plant yesterday. It really needed sunnier locations. 
Actually what I was doing it getting to some garden projects that had been put off for a while.

Some of the epimedium really look good this time of year.




Several cattleya orchids have begun to bloom.
This plant went to an orchid show last year and brought home a ribbon. 



The plant is getting so big. I should divide it, but probably not this winter. Dividing it would of course mean I would have more plants.





Julia's recipe
Chicken and rice with some unusual spices

This recipe comes from the NYTime cooking site, where it is called "weeknight fancy chicken and rice." Descriptive, but not much flair. Of course, the same might be said of the name I use above. Anyway, we served this on Wednesday of this week when we were feeling a little better, but still fidgety. Sort of a muted celebratory meal. It comes together in less than an hour, and it is kind of comforting but still flavorful.  


The ingredients: 1 lb. (or so) skinless, boneless chicken breast; about 3/4 cup thinly sliced onion (half moons); 4 tablespoons of butter; 6 cardamom pods; 3 whole star anise; 1 tablespoon or so of smushed garlic (the recipe called for 6 cloves; results may vary with the size of your cloves or your fondness for garlic); 1-1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder; 1 teaspoon kosher salt; 1-1/2 cups basmati rice and 2-1/2 cups chicken stock or bouillon. To garnish: 1/4 cup golden raisins; 1/4 cup toasted almonds and 1/4 cup (or so) of chopped parsley. 

The recipe said to garnish with 1/4 cup of chopped dried apricots and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro as well as the almonds. I had golden raisins and parsley which were just fine. Any dried fruit; any fresh green herb. 


 

I started by prepping the onions and garlic. Then I melted the butter in a big enameled pot and added the onion plus the cardamom pods, the star anise and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. I put the cardamom pods on the cutting board and whacked them with the side of a big knife to crack them a little. I cooked the onions over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes, stirring now and then.   








Here are the onions after 15 minutes - golden brown. 




















While the onions were cooking, I prepped the chicken. I cut each breast in half lengthwise and then cut each half crosswise into about 3/4" wide slices. 










At the end of the 15 minutes of onion cooking, I added the garlic and the turmeric and stirred them in. 















After about 2 minutes, when the garlic had begun to smell good, I added the chicken. I stirred the chicken around in the onion and spice mixture for a few (maybe 3 or 4) minutes so that the chicken could get coated.











Next I added the stock and the rest of the salt (1/2 teaspoon) and brought the mixture to a boil.

I added the rice, reduced the heat so the pot was simmering, put the lid on and set the timer for 15 minutes. 

After 15 minutes, the rice had absorbed most of the liquid and the chicken was done. I turned off the heat and let the pot sit for another 10 minutes. While the pot was resting, I toasted the almonds (for about 8 minutes in a 350 degree oven) and chopped the parsley. 





Here it is in the bowl, with the raisins, almonds and parsley sprinkled on top. 

We served it with winter squash (delicata; usually we have acorn) which had been cut in half and roasted in a 9" x13" pan, upside down in a bit of water. The squash steams. 

The contrast in texture between the garnishes and the rice and the chunks of chicken was pleasant and the spices were mild and flavorful. I did remove the star anise while transferring the mixture from pot to bowl. I found 4 of the 6 cardamom pods at the same time, and Philip found the others in his dinner. We had leftovers - heated gently in a bit of water - on Friday. Still tasty 2 days later.  



Odds and Ends




We know that hellebores and pulmonaria have a different cell structure that allows them to withstand the cold.

So does this plant, somewhat to my surprise.










The deer do not seem to like parsley. I was surprised they did not like lettuce. While they topped the pansies, they left the crocuses alone.

With the very warm weather (for November) I have to pay particular attention to some houseplants. Several got overheated (I think) and did that leaf drop thing. 

With the warm weather the little ants have returned. When it was close to freezing it seemed they had gone to sleep or something. It gives us one thing to look forward to in a week or so as temperatures return to normal.

Stay safe. 
Better times are really coming. It feels like they are actually here.
Philip





2 comments:

Dave said...

It felt like VJ Day in NYC yesterday. Still, there was a lingering sadness for me in not flipping the Senate. 100% of my contributions this year were to senate races, all competitive ones, and not one of my candidates won. It is some solace seeing the beauty that is still in your garden.

Pat said...

On Saturday, the day the election was called, there was an omen in my backyard. I'd bought two Vanda orchids, 3 or 4 years ago, that not only didn't bloom but looked like they were dying and withering up. They were such eyesores that a few months ago I moved them from the patio to hang from a pygmy palm in the backyard. On Saturday morning--guess what? A huge cluster of really spectacular violet blooms had opened up. Does nature somehow KNOW?