Sunday, May 8, 2011

More pictures May 8, 2011

Here are other highlights from the garden this weekend.

First here are two different pasque flowers, which are pulsatilla vulgaris. While I am still waiting for them to bush up, they have come back for 2 successive springs and seem to be healthy. That’s not a bad report card. The seedpods are good too. I will try to show them to you in a few weeks.


Here are more primroses. There are quite a few varieties. I think I am just scratching the surface.







This is a forget-me-not. It is a perennial the has lasted for years now. I will always have a fondness for this family as I remember its two-inch tall cousin that grows in the alpine areas, even above tree line. We know it from Rocky Mountain National Park, along trail Ridge Road. That is one of my favorite drives, as long as someone else is behind the wheel.

Finally here are some trillium. These 4 varieties come back for me. I have tried to get more exotic types. They died. That happens.





Enjoy.
Philip

1 comment:

Catherine Woods said...

The next time I'm on Rocky Mountain National Park's Trail Ridge Road, I'll be on the lookout for the small version of the forget-me-not. (It's wonderful living here in Colorado, so close to the park!) I've always had a soft spot for forget-me-nots, since my childhood. And I love seeing the ones you've got in your garden.

I know what you mean about driving on Trail Ridge road. It's full of glorious vistas, but the drive, with all its switchbacks, steep climb and just as steep drop offs, is real white knuckle stuff!