Thursday, August 28, 2008

August 28-Summer week 10.5

Gosh I’m late.
We were in Chicago for the weekend and there just are so many hours in the day.
We have wonderful trees in our yard. There are mature trees of all varieties. There is a walnut tree, an elm tree, a linden tree, a sycamore tree and a number of crabapple trees, some pink, some white. Did I forget one? Oh yes, there is the buckeye tree. They provide the shade for the hosta and friends. As mature trees (that means tall) they provide dappled shade/sun that allows many sunny plants to grow and creates a wonderful patchwork in the late afternoon.
But and maybe you saw that but coming, there are leaves in the fall. And it does feel like fall. It has actually been down in the cool 50’s at night, and in the morning you can hear the high school marching band practicing. There will be football games this weekend and children are back to school. In Iowa City the University students are back, taking up every parking space you ever were looking for.
I was talking about leaves. They are starting to come down. The crabapples and buckeye trees are starting to lose theirs these days. Then will come some other tree with the sycamore being last, holding out until Thanksgiving. I can rake leaves for months.
It is cool but it is becoming dry. We had a reprieve from the dry last Thursday with a wonderful steady light rain for hours. By the time we came back from Chicago you couldn’t tell it had rained. I am just about ready to break out the hose, and probably would have if I didn’t have this thought to try to get through the season without it. So I am using the watering can a lot.
So we were in Chicago. This time of year I watch to see what is blooming and what is working in people’s yards. Annuals are certainly right out front, with impatients often leading the charge. As to perennials, Russian sage seemed like it was all over. I don’t grow Russian sage. There is something about the scale that is just not right for my garden.
My garden- what about my garden? The caladium are good. It seems like everything else is quiet. The hosta are big. There is a little color here and there.
In Chicago I went to an orchid place and bought a few. I actually have 3 blooming orchids hanging from trees, thieves notwithstanding. I really recommend orchids for people with shady yards. They are a good combination with hosta, hung from trees or other constructions.
In Chicago I also found a nursery with fall sales already. They were practically giving away wonderful coleus.

It was more difficult to find pictures this week for the poll, but there are a few.

First there is this little bronze phalanopsis orchid.











Second this is one of the last daylilies, Flames from Hades, which among other things is about five feet tall. I find it interesting that some of these very late daylilies are so very tall.










Third there is euphorbia “Icicle”. It is an annual here but reseeds well, as they sometimes say in a good way.










Finally there is a late blackberry lily, or maybe a candy lily as I guess they are called. When I understand the difference I will tell you.









Last week in the poll Persian shield and the hosta flower tied with the most votes.

_______________________________________________________
For bonus pictures I have a white orchid that has been blooming literally for months. I then have a picture of one of the hanging constructions for my orchids, in the backyard.




















Here is an actually labeled “candy lily”. It is listed as “dwarf”, that is no more than 18 inches tall. It just came from Chicago so barely qualifies as a garden picture.










Finally there are two pictures of our political preference, from snowy January at caucus time, to the present. Time does go by.
Philip Mears

No comments: